- This position is responsible for meeting the customer’s transportation requirements working in a regionally aligned team environment. Duties include processing customer orders, modal analysis, tendering freight to carriers, day-to-day troubleshooting, proactively contacting the sites at night to see if shipments are picked up on time or if there are any issues, problem resolution.
- Receive shipment request: (electronic, phone, fax, e-mail, or hard copy).
- Run Bulk Plan:
- Perform modal analysis using SHIPMAX ‘bulk planner’ one or two times per day.
(Inbound coordinators do not run a bulk plan, these are manual orders with limited opportunity to consolidate).
- Review Bulk Plan for integrity:
- Identify optimal consolidated loads
- Determine un-optimized shipments, if LTL shipment ship direct, expedite, etc.
- Release sub-optimized (un-useable) consolidated loads back into SHIPMAX.
- Verify delivery requirements on consolidated shipments are achievable.
- Select optimum mode and carrier, assigning shipments to approved core carrier group in accordance with the ‘Carrier Commitment Process’ (CCP) based on pickup, delivery, and carrier capacity requirements.
- Optimizing shipments from the various sites, maximizing trailer utilization through optimization.
- Assign ship dates based on required / requested delivery date(s).
- Review order ‘special instructions’ to ensure delivery compliance.
- Assign all LTL, Truckload, Air, Small Package, Intermodal, Expedite, and Drayage carrier tenders in SHIPMAX system.
- Manage carrier acceptance and refusals of tendered shipments, entering refusals in SHIPMAX.
- Perform Freight Dispatch and tendering for shipments for the following modes:
- Truckload / Truckload Consolidations
- Small Package
- Intermodal (if applicable)
- LCL Shipments (if applicable)
- Work directly with the carriers and warehouse / plant ship site personnel on a daily basis to ensure transportation requirements are met.
- Ensure appointment assignments are communicated via EDI tender to carrier
- Tracking ‘critical shipments’ on a daily basis.
- Identifying additional areas for improvement opportunities.
- Implementing and tracking improvement opportunities identified.
- Problem resolution.
- Advise ship sites of carrier assignment, loading sequence, and pickup times.
- Interface with Carrier dispatch / operations to resolve carrier related issues and TSIR creation.
- Tracking projects / areas of improvements implemented from a cost, time, and process improvement perspective.
- Develop Internal processes and procedures
- Develop Desk Manuals & DPM’s outlining roles, responsibilities and procedures.
- Conduct periodic reviews.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the General Manager
- Bachelor’s degree or an combination of education and work experience.
- Transportation experience with Package Truck mode desired.
- Understanding of Transportation Operations, and relationships to costs.
- Experience in team-based environment and Quality tools and techniques preferred.
- A demonstrated self-confident, outgoing, professional service-oriented demeanor with the ability to handle customers via telephone with appropriate tone, diction and enthusiasm.
Additional Knowledge, Skills, &Abilities
- Knowledge of Transportation, Logistics, and having previously worked with a Transportation Management System (TMS)
- Ability to handle details and resolve problems
- Demonstrated strong listening, verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment and good interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to be multi-task, set priorities, organize work and implement action items.
- Self starter, self motivated, resourceful and responsive
- Strong PC skills and expertise in Microsoft office products (Excel, Word, Power Point, Access)
The company is committed to and supports equal employment opportunity and affirmative action to all employees and applicants for employment. Equal employment opportunity means equal treatment of employees and applicants without regard to the following legally-protected characteristics: race, color, religion, creed, sex (gender identity), pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age (40 and over), medical condition, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), veteran status, physical or mental disability status or any other legally-protected status.