Drives gasoline or diesel-powered tractor-trailer combination to move trailers within yard to/from assigned dock-door and to/from assigned parking slot. Verifies equipment condition, equipment number, seal #, and door/slot number when moving trailer. Makes report of overages, shortages and breakage/damage. Insures cargo and equipment is secure prior to moving to prevent injury, shifting of product and equipment damage. Ensures trailer movement records are maintained in the Warehouse Management System.
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Secures and moves trailers between dock doors and yard parking slots in accordance with the schedule as determined by the shipping office, lead, and/or supervisor.
- Verifies condition of and markings on trailer, as well as seal numbers.
- Maintains records related to hour usage, equipment inspection sheets, maintenance records, and trailer movement reports.
- Safety - inspects truck equipment and supplies, such as: tires, lights, breaks, fuel, oil, and water. Ensures equipment is not driven off the property. A towing company must take the equipment to any off-site service for repairs that can not be performed on property.
- Work with supervisor, lead, and shipping office to perform bay maintenance, pallet inventory, warehouse sanitation / housekeeping duties when trailer movement is not required.
- Loading and unloading - assists workers in loading and unloading.
- Apply the APL Logistics Continuous Improvement (ACI) Model for operational efficiency to improve business process, increase proficiency and increase efficiency through waste elimination.
- Apply the 5S Lean methodology to sustain a safe, clean and orderly facility.
- Position requires the incumbent’s performance to meet and occasionally exceed standards as set by the company for safety, quality, productivity and customer services.
- High School diploma or equivalent required.
- Three to five (3-5) years of tractor-trailer driving experience with accident-free record required.
- Forklift experience – both sit down and stand up, motorized and non motorized pallet jack, clamp, reach, and slip sheet.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals
- Ability to write legibly
- Must have basic math skills
- Ability to make decisions on customer acceptance based on past experience and fitness for use
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner
- Must have good interpersonal skills.
- Solid command of English, both written and verbal.
- Must have attention to detail for continuous mental and visual attention
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Spanish speaking a plus
- Team Player
- Action Oriented
- Teamwork - showing a commitment to teamwork and collaboration
- Respect - extending dignity and respect to all people
- Integrity - fostering trust and a positive work environment
- Innovation - bringing creativity to the workplace
- Customer Focus - achieving Company, department, and personal goals through a strong customer focus
The company is committed to and supports equal employment opportunity and affirmative action to all employees and applicants for employment. Equal employment opportunity means equal treatment of employees and applicants without regard to the following legally-protected characteristics: race, color, religion, creed, sex (gender identity), pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age (40 and over), medical condition, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), veteran status, physical or mental disability status or any other legally-protected status.