Under the direction of a General Manager, the incumbent manages one or more cost centers. Working with and through supervisory and warehouse personnel, the incumbent is a team builder who manages the daily activities of the warehouse including personnel scheduling, supervision and proper and safe utilization of space, equipment, building and personnel. The Operations Manager services as the key interface and coordinator between warehouse and office operations. Within the scope of this position's responsibilities, the incumbent must apply the APL Logistics Continuous Improvement (ACI) Model for operational efficiency to improve business processes, increase proficiency and increase efficiency through waste elimination while at the same time, meeting Corporate values and objectives.
- Organize processes to the optimal level through the continual focus on the identification and elimination of waste.
- Apply 5S Lean methodology using a structured 5 step approach to designing, attaining and maintaining a high level of housekeeping and work process organization, thereby creating and sustaining a safe, clean and orderly facility.
- Ensure the direct and indirect reports are in compliance with all Federal and state OSHA and Company Safety requirements and maintain an injury & accident free work environment.
- Identify and implement cost saving initiatives that impact both the facility and the Company as a whole.
Warehouse Personnel Management & Development
- Directs warehouse supervisory personnel to achieve prescribed objectives.
- Matches skills and background of personnel to work required.
- Ensures that timely performance feedback is given to direct reports on an ongoing basis with formal reviews conducted per the APL Logistics, Inc., approved guidelines.
- Promotes employee development through in-house training, goal setting, and achievement feedback.
- Takes corrective disciplinary measures via progressive and well documented discipline program.
- Plans and manages the effective utilization of space to meet cost and service standards. Monitors to ensure it continues to meet Company standards and customer product requirements. Develops and implements an effective product locator system, updating as needed.
- Develops and maintains procedures to ensure the efficient operation and utilization of all warehouse equipment. Monitors the cleanliness and working conditions of all equipment, overseeing repairs, adjustments or replacements as needed. Adjust the quantity and type to meet business needs and minimize costs. Develops an equipment maintenance schedule.
- Develops implements and directs programs to ensure the safety of all personnel to meet Company standards and federal regulations. Reports all work-related injuries to upper management immediately, filing appropriate reports and seeking medical attention as needed. Actively promotes safety awareness and ensures the continued effectiveness of the programs. Ensures that regularly scheduled safety inspections are conducted and any necessary corrective actions are taken. Ensures facility remains in compliance with all city, state and federal regulations
- Responsible for inventory control, directing procedures to ensure the security of assets and the prevention of damages or loss. Maintain cycle count programs to audit inventory accuracy. Prepares month-end reports as required.
- Maintains a professional and courteous relationship with all customers and work team. Audit operations to ensure service standards are being met. Provide customer service training program for all front-line personnel. Maintain high profile with customers and solicit feedback.
- May participate in the preparation of budget, revenue projections and account analysis.
- Responsible to understand and interpret financial information on the P&L statements
- May support sales efforts by providing required operations data and interacting with customers.
- Attend workshops, AA Basic Warehouse Management course, etc., as prescribed or as requested and approved.
- Serve as a member of management committee.
- Encourage employees to participate in ASP program by word and by example and being active in the program.
- Performance other tasks as assigned. Must comply and assure compliance of subordinates with written policies as set forth in dress code policy, attendance policy and associate handbook
- A college degree in logistics/distribution or equivalent required.
- Must have two to three (2-3) years of management/supervision experience.
- Must be knowledgeable in warehouse management and operations, including equipment and its proper use and maintenance.
- Must have good interpersonal and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Must be able to manage budgets.
- Must be able to analyze and comprehend.
- Must have attention to detail.
- Must be able to make good decisions.
- Must be able to motivate and develop teams and individuals in successfully completing duties.
- Requires professional and positive attitude, appearance and demeanor in dealing with customers and work team.
- Ability to be pro-active in customer responsive warehouse environment, being flexible in meeting customer needs.
- Must be action oriented and exhibit strong leadership skills.
- Must inspire trust and build a culture of integrity through implementing processes
The company is committed to and supports equal employment opportunity and affirmative action to all employees and applicants for employment. Equal employment opportunity means equal treatment of employees and applicants without regard to the following legally-protected characteristics: race, color, religion, creed, sex (gender identity), pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age (40 and over), medical condition, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), veteran status, physical or mental disability status or any other legally-protected status.