Drives gasoline or diesel-powered tractor-trailer combination to move trailers within yard to/from assigned dock-door and to/from assigned parking slot. Verifies equipment condition, equipment number, seal number, and door/slot number when moving trailer. Makes report of overages, shortages and breakage/damage. Insures cargo and equipment is secure prior to moving to prevent injury, shifting of product and equipment damage. Ensures trailer movement records are maintained in the Warehouse Management System.
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Secures and moves trailers between dock doors and yard parking slots in accordance with the schedule as determined by the shipping office, lead, and/or supervisor.
- Verifies condition of and markings on trailer, as well as seal numbers.
- Safety - inspects truck equipment and supplies, such as: tires, lights, breaks, fuel, oil, and water. Ensures equipment is not driven off the property. A towing company must take the equipment to any off-site service for repairs that cannot be performed on property.
- Maintains records related to hour usage, equipment inspection sheets, maintenance records, and trailer movement reports.
- When trailer movement not required, will be assigned to one of the following:
- Perform duties of an MH III inside warehouse
- Perform bay maintenance
- Perform pallet inventory
- Warehouse sanitation / housekeeping duties
- Apply the APL Logistics Continuous Improvement (ACI) Model for operational efficiency to improve business process, increase proficiency and increase efficiency through waste elimination.
- Apply the 5S Lean methodology to sustain a safe, clean and orderly facility.
- Position requires the incumbent’s performance to meet and occasionally exceed standards as set by the company for warehouse safety, food safety, sanitation, quality, productivity and customer service.
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Be at least 24 years of age
- Must have at least one (1) year verifiable experience in a commercial vehicle that required backing to a dock
- Must have a valid driver’s license issued in the state of their current residence
- Must be able to meet driving and criminal conviction records requirements as mandated and verified by the APL National Safety Department
- Two (2) years Forklift experience – both sit down and stand up, motorized and non motorized pallet jack, clamp, reach, and slip sheet
- Two (2) years warehouse or related work experience
- Knowledge of inventory control and general warehouse procedures
- Ability to read and comprehend basic instructions, to interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures
- Ability to write legibly
- Must have basic math skills
- Ability to make decisions on customer acceptance based on past experience and fitness for use
- Must have attention to detail for continuous mental and visual attention
- Data entry skills
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner
- Solid command of English, both written and verbal
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Valid Class A or B Driver's License preferred
- Spanish speaking a plus
- Teamwork - showing a commitment to teamwork and collaboration
- Respect - extending dignity and respect to all people
- Integrity - fostering trust and a positive work environment
- Innovation - bringing creativity to the workplace
- Customer Focus - achieving Company, department, and personal goals through a strong customer focus
The company is committed to and supports equal employment opportunity and affirmative action to all employees and applicants for employment. Equal employment opportunity means equal treatment of employees and applicants without regard to the following legally-protected characteristics: race, color, religion, creed, sex (gender identity), pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age (40 and over), medical condition, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), veteran status, physical or mental disability status or any other legally-protected status.