The Shipping & Receiving Assistant II verifies that materials received match those ordered in both type and quantity; routes incoming items to the appropriate department, storerooms or other location; prepares and maintains shipping records; participates in the preparation, assembly, and/or shipping of outgoing merchandise or material; rejects damaged goods or materials and corresponds with shipper to adjust damages or shortages. Acts as the trainer for the Shipping & Receiving Assistant I in their job duties. Provides warehouse services assigned through safe, efficient, cost effective and accurate handling of customer products.
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Communicates with carriers/drivers, warehouse/office personnel and customers regarding shipment and receipt of product.
- Assists in the scheduling of receiving times, assigns truckers doors, assigns receiving numbers and prepares blind tally.
- Checks outbound / inbound orders for accuracy and proper signatures, i.e., picked by and checked by truck driver; for over, short and damage reports for receipts.
- Directs and controls driver traffic and access to warehouse, restrooms, etc.
- Checks documents for proper and complete information; signs freight bills. Checks driver identification and notes driver’s license number on bill of lading. Accepts checks or money orders for C.O. D. orders and notes same on bill of lading.
- Maintains log for accurate records of all product movement for inbound, outbound, staged orders and yard management.
- Assists in the scheduling of shipping times.
- Assists with rechecks, verifications, cycle counts and audits.
- Checks product as required by supervisor.
- Controls completion of UPS pickup record book.
- Apply the APL Logistics Continuous Improvement (ACI) Model for operational efficiency to improve business process, increase proficiency and increase efficiency through waste elimination.
- Apply the 5S Lean methodology to sustain a safe, clean and orderly facility.
- Position requires the incumbent’s performance to meet and occasionally exceed standards as set by the company for safety, quality, food safety, sanitation, productivity and customer services.
- High School diploma or equivalent required
- Basic computer skills required
- Two (2) years of warehouse experience including at least one year in shipping/receiving required
- Familiarity with shipping/receiving operations and procedures required.
- Familiarity with personal computers required.
- Ability to read and comprehend basic instructions, to interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions and procedures
- Ability to write legibly
- Must have good math skills
- Ability to make decisions on customer acceptance based on past experience and fitness for use
- Data entry skills and 10 key
- Good interpersonal skills
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate in a professional and positive manner
- Language Skills - English
- Must have attention to detail for continuous mental and visual attention
- Team Player
Additional Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities
- Action Oriented preferred
- Teamwork - showing a commitment to teamwork and collaboration.
- Respect - extending dignity and respect to all people.
- Integrity - fostering trust and a positive work environment.
- Innovation - bringing creativity to the workplace.
- Customer Focus - achieving Company, department, and personal goals through a strong customer focus.
The company is committed to and supports equal employment opportunity and affirmative action to all employees and applicants for employment. Equal employment opportunity means equal treatment of employees and applicants without regard to the following legally-protected characteristics: race, color, religion, creed, sex (gender identity), pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age (40 and over), medical condition, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), veteran status, physical or mental disability status or any other legally-protected status.