Under the direction of Legal and Compliance the Trade Compliance Manager III will collaborate with the leadership team and external partners/consultants as needed to implement and facilitate the organizations compliance programs. This role will be tasked with ensuring APLL is in compliance with any relevant regulations and standards governing our supply chain. Strategic analysis, development and communications on regulatory matters to internal and external customers. Development of compliance material, regulatory fact sheets, and reporting for sales and customers education. Supports the compliance manager in resolving non-compliant gaps and trends, while assisting in developing new programs such as internal audits, training and regulatory metrics, best practice solutions and potential products. This role will be reporting to the Senior Compliance Manager.
The position will interface with US Customs/CBP, Canada Customs/CBSA and other regulatory agencies externally, service providers, and multiple functions internally (Operations, Sales, and Customer Support) and across all APL Logistics lines of business (NVOCC, Consolidation, Air, Freight Forwarding, Deconsolidation). Assist to drive initiatives and lead resources ensuring APL Logistics regulatory compliance as well as ensuring processes, services and facilities, are compliant with various government regulations and initiatives. The position will require a subject matter expert (SME) in trade regulatory compliance policies, including, yet not limited to Ocean, Security Filings, Air, CTPAT, and the Federal Maritime Commission, with emphasis on supporting Denied Party Screening OFAC sanctions and Export compliance (AES-EEI).
This position is responsible for, but not limited to, the following:
- Maintain expertise in sanctioned regulations specifically related to OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) Bureau of Business and Security, and US Customs CTPAT program.
- Monitor compliance with OFAC/Sanctions and other global sanctions lists
- Provide problem resolution and identify compliance gaps impacting internal and external customers while supporting development of process/knowledge improvement to mitigate/prevent potential regulatory penalties.
- Support the development of compliance programs and strategic solutions for a regulatory product structure and opportunities, including internal audits in key areas of risks to APL Logistics.
- Maintain expertise in regulatory matters as it pertains to APLL International Logistics Services cargo movement, and associated services, including collaboration within various trade group networks and committees.
- Support continued development of Security Filing support group in Costa Rica as new regulatory requirements are implemented globally.
- Enhance existing “compliance library” to provide comprehensive knowledge of regulatory requirements to internal stakeholders within the various lines of business and conduct internal training.
- Ensure APL Logistics compliance of Export regulatory requirements
- Support Denied Party Screening (DPS) global team on Global sanctions and regulations
- Support comprehensive internal regulatory compliance auditing program supporting regulations, and preventing potential risks & penalties.
- Pro-actively identify trends, compliance gaps and customer needs (internal and external), and propose solutions.
- Support and direct APL Logistics global security filing metrics & support teams globally to retain high percentage of compliance and zero penalties
- Support further development of Export Compliance Program
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum 5 - 8 years of relevant transportation experience, with emphasis in regulatory compliance environment
- Excellent analytical problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a fast paced, demanding and cross functional environment
- Able to work independently
- Working knowledge of EDI basics
- Excellent organization and planning skills
- Excellent decision making, problem solving and strong analytical skills
- Superior interpersonal communication skills; ability to produce and present effectively to internal and external customers
- Strong computer literacy required in various applications; PowerPoint, Excel Word and Visio
- Knowledge of Regulatory and Trade Compliance rules within the Transportation Industry. Shipping Act, FMC, Census AES, US Customs, Import/Export, ISF and OFAC Sanctions.
- Ability to research, interpret and apply complex government regulations for internal understanding
- Able to maintain confidentiality
ADDITIONAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- APLL operation/systems (ACSR, LSS) preferred
- Spanish proficiency preferred
- Teamwork - showing a commitment to teamwork and collaboration
- Respect - extending dignity and respect to all people
- Integrity - fostering trust and a positive work environment
- Innovation - bringing creativity to the workplace
- Customer Focus - achieving Company, department, and personal goals through a strong customer focus
PLEASE NOTE: To be eligible to apply for open positions, an employee must have:
- Fulfilled the original time in position requirement of current position (generally twelve to twenty-four months per immediate manager discretion).
- Received at least an overall rating of 2 (partially meets performance expectations) on most recent performance review.
- Discussed intention to apply with immediate manager, who has confirmed eligibility.
The company is committed to and supports equal employment opportunity and affirmative action to all employees and applicants for employment. Equal employment opportunity means equal treatment of employees and applicants without regard to the following legally-protected characteristics: race, color, religion, creed, sex (gender identity), pregnancy (including childbirth and related medical conditions), sexual orientation, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age (40 and over), medical condition, genetic information (including characteristics and testing), veteran status, physical or mental disability status or any other legally-protected status.